Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Easy Peasy Applesauce.. have I mentioned how much I love my food mill?

When I went to make my Quinoa Apple Muffins, the recipe called for applesauce and, of course, I had used up mine just last night. But, have no fear, I have a billion apples in the house right now thanks to the discount produce rack at the supermarket. 

I am not sure what criteria they are using to choose which apples need to go on the discount rack, but I hope they don't change!  I think I have come across maybe 2 apples that even have a bruise on them. They have discounted these amazing apples to .49 cents a pound! All kinds! I am getting honeycrisp, gala, granny, even organic! So, anyway, I have a plethora of apples in the house right now. The dehydrator has been going non stop!

That having been prattled on about, I made applesauce for the recipe and decided perhaps I would share. 

I decided I would just make a small batch since I just needed a half cup for the recipe, but I would make enough to fill the jar I had just washed. 

I used 3 different kinds of apples. Grannysmith, Gala, and an organic Braeburn. I used my apple correr slicer thingymajiggy. This is all I do for when I dehydrate apples too. I don't bother peeling them.


Anyway, here is how I made this batch. I can't really say it's a "recipe" as there isn't really any set proportions. 


  • 3 large apples cored and cut (I don't bother to peel them as I use a food mill to process them which leaves the peels behind)
  • about 1/4 cup water (you really only need a smidget as the apples themselves will usually have enough liquid)
  • about 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • about 1/2 tsp (or so) cinnamon


Core and cut the apples into large chunks. Put them into an appropriately sized sauce pan with water and maple syrup and cinnamon. You can totally use sugar, you can omit any sweetener at all. I actually usually don't use any sweetener as I think the apples are sweet enough. 

Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for about 15 minutes until the apples are nice and soft. If you find that there is an excessive amount of liquid, just pour it off (I actually usually save mine and drink it like cider!) Let it cool a bit then I used my food mill to squish it all into applesauce consistency. In the past I have mashed the apples with a masher, used a potato ricer, pushed it through a sieve, and sometimes, just kinda mushed them with a fork and left chunks. 

Applesauce is one of those great things that you can play with as much as you like. You can make it thicker, thinner, smoother, chunkier, blander, spicier. You can add other fruits, leave the peels, pre-peel. You can even make an individual serving by just coring and apple and cook it in a micro safe bowl in the microwave for a couple minutes with a couple tablespoons of water in the bottom of the bowl. After a just 2 minutes (usually) you can take it out and mash it up with the sweetener and spices of your choice.
Have fun with it!



No comments:

Post a Comment